Having a fresh breath can help make a positive first impression on people. A fresh breath does not only help you confront people but also signifies a healthy mouth with no oral health problems. However, many people are unaware of keeping their breath smelling as fresh as possible. Below are seven useful tips on how to maintain a fresh breath:
- Use a mouthwash – Mouthwash with antibacterial properties kills the bacteria in your mouth. The odours of your mouth may quickly resurface after eating a flavourful meal. Mouthwash isn’t necessary to be part of your oral routine, but it does contribute to keeping your mouth fresh and clean.
- Drink water every after meals and snacks – You can clean your mouth also by drinking water. Rinse as soon as possible after eating to remove any leftover debris that could cause bad breath. Rinsing with water also helps neutralize acids in your mouth, protecting your teeth and gums’ health.
- Quit smoking – Tobacco contains nicotine which can constrict your mouth’s blood vessels and reduce saliva production. The blood flow and saliva production should be normal when a person stops smoking.
- Don’t forget to drink water regularly – The smell of your breath can also be affected by drinking enough water. Water is important to provide sufficient liquid for saliva production. Furthermore, drinking water washes away any leftover food particles present in your mouth.
- Brush and floss regularly – Brushing and flossing help keep your mouth clean by removing plaque and debris. Furthermore, they reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Decay and gum inflammation can lead to dental infections. Mouth infections such as cavities, canker sores and, like any other bacterial infections, can produce unpleasant odours. That is why it is important to do your oral hygiene regularly.
- Using a tongue scraper is a good idea – Anaerobic Oral bacteria are frequently found on the tongue because these microbes are major causes of bad breath. Cleaning the tongue can be crucial in preventing oral health problems such as bad breath halitosis. A tongue scraper removes bacteria, their byproducts, and plaque as it rakes across the surface of your tongue.
- Visit your dentist – Preventive services, such as professional dental cleanings to remove tartar, are frequently provided by your dentist in Edmonton during routine appointments. Plaque and oral bacteria cannot hide in the tartar once it has been scraped from your mouth. Dental sealants can also be convenient to protect the teeth.
Maintaining your oral health and having a fresh breath is not easy because it is a habit to be established. The useful tips, as mentioned earlier, are some of the ways to keep your mouth healthy and fresh. However, there are cases of bad breath that won’t go away because it can be from a cavity, infection, or any other infection. It is important to consult your Edmonton dentist to alleviate certain infections and achieve a healthier mouth.
At Smile Zone Dental, we value your comfort and oral health. Our team is always here to provide you with helpful dental tips and treatments. Call us now at (780) 989-5733 to book an appointment. We would be happy to see you flaunt your beautiful smile!